Friday, July 23, 2021

Working On A Friday?

It may seem to be a shock that I am actually working on a Friday. But remember I started the work week thinking it's going to be extraordinarily busy this week. Yet yesterday was the first time in weeks that I had taken a nap after lunch. I checked my email first thing and came upon a Happy Anniversary ping from Motivosity. Yep, my anniversary at QueensCare. 8 YEARS! It is the single longest time I've been with any team EVER. I mean I do chunks of service... 5+ years at Cedars-Sinai. 5+ years at USC Dental, almost 7 years at USC Stevens. It does add up doesn't it? That's 25+ years combined. I remember my first day at QueensCare back in 2013. I remember spending lunch at the Century City mall the day before thinking I wouldn't be getting to do that anymore. <And here I am TODAY walking to Marie Callender's to pick up a tureky lunch with stuffing and mashed potatoes just as if it were something prepared by the FRB cafeteria>. I have this view of QueensCare as the company that took me in and rescued me especially after USC just dumped me after a combined almost 13 years of service. THAT is actually the most I've been at any ONE place or company. That record will stand since I am mulling retirement very VERY soon. Anyway that is why I do feel a lot of gratitude towards QueensCare. I mean it goes to show it doesn't have to be perfect. But it has/had enough things going for it for me to stick around. And that is what counts the most. There sure have been lots of people that have come and gone. Alex, who hired me originally, and who is now retired himself. He believed in me though and would always say I was one of his TWO best hires he has ever done. Justin, who became my lieutenant <but who I haven't spoken to in years> I remember that first year when I changed EVERYTHING. Felt much like my first couple of years at USC Dentistry. I felt like a FORCE OF NATURE. And so what is the force of nature doing today? Boring, mundane Performance Evals of course LOL. At least Johnnie called from Hawaii this morning. But really not to say hi so much as to ask me to find the ebook of THE BOOK WITH NO PICTURES and to email it to his mom please. OK OK. Hey I got to hear his voice and they're obviously doing fine. 1 week has gone by actually and it was just a week ago I dropped them off at the airport and I was being sentimental about spending time with Johnnie. Today? Not so much LOL. 
Did I mention I don't really like doing Performance Evals, but mostly because I have to point out the negative.  What I didn't want to be is like Z who we felt like HAD to find something negative to accentuate no matter how good a job we were doing in general. And really there was only one review that would slant negative and that would be James. How do you tell the guy that if he weren't the CEOs son he would have gotten let go a long time ago? Of course Justin did manage to befriend him and get the best out of him. I just don't do well coddling people is all, nor do I really want to be his friend. Those guys used to have lunches together. I thought about that and said "Hell Nah!" Anyway after lunchtime I put my head down and finished everything once and for all. Even did my 2 pM meeting with the EHR team. Hey what do you know I got everything done that I was supposed to! And this was supposed to be a busy week? Now I can REaLLY do a breathe-out. It is Friday night and I reminded myself that normally i wouldn't have Johnnie today anyway. Of course I wouldn't have the dog either and of course I have to account for not leaving her alone for too long. Especially now that she is starting to get used to our routine herself. She knows when I'm taking her out for a walk. Didn't do much this Friday night except watch some old shows on Netflix. I remind myself I still have some learning to do with regards to my investment portfolio. I got the whole weekend to do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment