Friday, July 2, 2021

Tank Day Before the 3-day Weekend

So it is Friday, the day before the long 4th of July weekend and although I have nothing planned for this weekend except for golf on Sunday I am still looking forward to a tank day. After all, so many of my team have already long gone for the weekend. So much so that for the FRB monthly birthday party in the afternoon only a dozen people or so out of the usual 30 logged into the Zoom call.  Still, just seeing Dora's pretty face leading the game portion was well worth the time I'm not going to lie :) Can't believe I haven't seen her in person in almost a year-and-a-half and here we are we're still going strong remotely. It is nice to keep these connection routines that keep people engaged I think. And as a supposed leader in the organization, I felt it was an obligation to attend and participate and have as much fun as possible. And it did turn out to be fun... a half hour of levity for the day. Not that it was necessary, this being a Friday and all. I got up this morning early, because I had to book a tee time for next next Sunday, but without the dog and without Johnnie around, I went right back to bed and tried to get some anti-anxiety meditation in. And by mid-day I had even gotten started on the new Amazon prime movie The Tomorrow War. By then I had also gotten 4000 steps in already AND gotten out to get myself some nice Yoshinoya beef and chicken bowl 2-for-$10 special. That would end up biting me later on though because I probably either ate it too fast or my stomach simply didn't want it specifically because I had to eject all that food. I hate it when that happens. And so it was that by mid-afternoon I get a call from Lisa's office. Turned out she had a procedure to do today and it was a long one and she asked if I could pick up Johnnie at camp. 
I was happy to do that of course and I knew since she had a piano lesson to do tomorrow she would probably ask me to watch Johnnie for a little bit tonight anyway. And I was happy to spend some more time with my son because I was not likely to see him for 4th of July anyway. For his part I could tell Johnnie was all too happy to get picked up by me and take him to my apartment where he could feast on Wild Kratts videos until Lisa picked him up.  Got to have his usual late lunch of turkey ravioli and some more penne pasta too. By 5 PM I hadn't heard from Lisa yet and so I ordered us a pizza from Pizza Hut. At first it was just going to be for MY dinner. But once Johnnie found out I was ordering pizza he understood it to mean he was having some of it too. And when I picked it up he wanted to eat right there at Pizza Hut. They had opened up a couple of tables inside so that was good to go. All I had to do was flick off the sausage and pineapple leaving him with just pepperoni. He had had an entire slice when Lisa called. She had already gone home. How she just goes on auto-pilot explains to me that she wasn't thinking about much of anything, not even Johnnie. That's ok. Since Johnnie and I had already had food, I just packed up the rest of the pizza and gave it to her for HER dinner. She clearly had no energy to cook anything and candidly I didn't feel like cooking either anyway. We just sat and talked and had pizza and listen to Johnnie detail his day and go over all the stuff he had packed from last night from the last week at camp. An impressive haul if I do say so myself, even if I saw a lack of excitement on Lisa's face because she saw a lot of it as stuff she had to put away. Leave it to her to think like that in the moment. I wanted to say that there would come a time in the future, far though it may be still, that she would kill for Johnnie to be making or writing something for her the way he does now routinely. Just an I-LOVE-YOU note he had written me from a year is enough to melt the most negative of thoughts away as far as I was concerned. Anyway tonight Lisa was too tired to practice. And sensing that, I went on home by 8 PM. And finished my movie. It was all good for a tank day. And I look forward to the next 3 days off...

No comments:

Post a Comment