Thursday, July 1, 2021

July Already

This being a Thursday, and with little urgency left for the remainder of the week for work, I find myself doing something new this morning. First let me preface by acknowledging the obvious, which is that with a 3-day weekend coming up, people are already starting to get in long weekend mode. Which explains the pic of me shooting hoops at the Penmar Park basketball courts first thing in the morning, mere yards from where Johnnie was playing at his summer camp right after I had just dropped him off. I bought a basketball yesterday to help tease Johnnie into learning how to dribble it. But then again I figured instead of merely walking around the park I could also just shoot hoops and get my heartrate up that way too. I hadn't shot or dribbled a basketball since some Friday back in the day at the FRB, and so it must have been at least 2 years. Used to be Greg and I would shoot on a fRiday around 3 PM. And before that I remember it was Tuesdays around 2 PM where I would sneak down to the indoor gym at the Transamerica building where I would shoot hoops for at least an hour before weight work. Or some other work out. How many Tuesdays did I do that until I left USC in 2013?! One thing I will say... this old man can still put the ball in the basket. It felt good making 5 in a row midrange free throw line. Twice. Felt good making a shot from a deep corner 3. And yes, I got my heartrate up easily and made 20 workout minutes before I headed home. Anyway, playing bball this morning felt like a gift. And a great start to the first day of July.
I didn't really have much to do today... except of course for a little blip in the afternoon when we got an email from HRSA about not logging in our vaccine stock numbers for the last 3 weeks. The task that was assigned to me and that I had done pretty faithfully almost every single day. I was pretty sure there was some kind of mistake. And eventually after an exchange of emails, HRSA finally responded that the email was sent by mistake. LOL. Not until it set off at least 4 of my team that's all, including the CMO. By the time I picked up Johnnie, that whole incident was merely a brief distraction and I focused on Johnnie time. After all, it is Thursday night and it was hand-off night and I could only wonder as to what would hand-off be like tonight, since no 2 consecutive ones are EVER the same. For his part, Johnnie ate and ate and ate just as soon as he came through the door at my apartment. First macaroni and cheese. Then ice cream sandwich. Then chee-tohs. And then in snap, it was already time to get dinner at Panda Express. I made sure we were home by 5:30, in the off-chance that Lisa would actually try to get done early tonight. Of course wasn't I the one that was telling her on Monday that now that I was no longer involved with her practice I appreciate more that it at least is one of the things that give her purpose and fulfillment of her life and although 3+ years ago I felt that Lisa working too hard helped bring about the downfall of our marriage, maybe now I'm thinking it probably really isn't even that at all. I mean she does work hard. But it is the thing that validates her and you can't take that away from anyone. Lisa does have narcissistic tendencies to be sure. But no need to let it affect me now. Even as I sat there thinking I'm out of gas with regards to taking care of Johnnie and Claire. And I said as much texting Lisa when I asked her when she was coming. More like... can you please come now? I told her about my injury in the shower. Of course she being the one that is always complaining of something, some pain going on in her body constantly, it was like a nothing-burger to her. I knew she believed me that I was tired tonight at least. And she did come over as quickly as she could. I played up my hurt back but really if I was that hurt would I be shooting hoops this morning LOL?!  With the dog and Johnnie gone I looked forward to ME time the rest of the evening and tomorrow. And I thought about how to generate income from investments this summer. Work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment