Sunday, July 25, 2021

Greg's Golf Goodbye

So here we were, at Roosevelt first thing with the significance of today being our last game with Greg for a while since he moves to Arizona officially next week. He had talked about it for almost a year now and I admit I never really gave it any serious thought. I mean who moves to Paradise, Arizona? Still, with last week's party at Industry Hills, and then today's golf game, you can't say Greg didn't leave without a proper goodbye. I mean I don't remember the last golf game I played with Roe, nor Ellen, or even Lisa and Mandy for that matter. I will remember these July golf games with Greg I think. And I post a picture in tribute. Today Daniel joined us once again and I think he will fill in as a part-time replacement at least. Wasn't that how Greg started back in the day? I recorded our first game with him was way back in 2014! He would just be the 5th guy when neither Roe or Ellen could play simply because he was there at 9:30. Of course he says that the enduring first memory he has of Lisa and I were that we were tearing in at Penmar without our shoes and socks, arriving late for our tee time obviously and being very much flustered for being so. Yep, that would just about sum it up back then wouldn't it? Those memories are not so pleasant for me but no such memories anymore thank God. Today just a nice normal quiet golf game at Roosevelt although to be candid, I did not play well enough for ME to remember the game by. I remember getting a 5 on the first hole and a nice tee shot on 2 followed by the usual thrashing at the rough on the left side. Then the usual yank to the left on Hole 3 but it made it through this time. And I at least got a 4. And then I hit my best shot of the day at Hole 4. I belted it cleanly down the middle 200+ yards just before the sand trap and to the left. A perfect setup. Too bad my second shot did not make it to the green. I still finished with a 5 though. I had a crappy next 2 holes, then missed a par putt all the way to a 5 on Hole 7. That's where I hit the ball in the forest but it bounced back somehow back on the fairway. On Hole 8 I hit it nicely on the tee shot but my 2nd shot got under some trees. I hit a 6 on that one. And then I finally lost the ball on the last hole. Sigh. Greg hit a par on his favorite hole 9 to remember it by. Then we shook hands at that was it. No more Greg for a while. We will see how Sundays shake out from here on in... 
Sunday afternoon was really no  different than most Sunday afternoons. It was hot out so I stayed in. I don't really see Johnnie on most Sundays anyway. But the real difference was that I had the dog with me and today I rushed just to make sure I got home before noon. I didn't make that, simply because I stopped at Sidewalk Cafe to get me my salmon kabobs for lunch. And then I tried to take a nap but really couldn't get myself to sleep. That's because I ran into a show that was the unlikeliest one I was going to binge on. But yet I did. It was a Netflix series called Virgin River, about a nurse practitioner who left LA to start over in a very VERY small town in Northern Cali called Virgin River. So the series was centered around the woman and the little dramas and stories that the other characters had, peeled layers upon layers like an onion. It sort of reminded me of the series Saving Hope. A drama series... and some of the content did bring back memories I'm not going to lie, which was probably why I ended up binge watching it. It was a lot about the authenticity of love and feelings and the rawness of emotions. I will admit it brought me back to some of the negative emotions Lisa and I used to have towards each other. But maybe it was all brought on by those memories Greg talked about today. One particular scene was a salsa dancing class... which brought me back to those Thursday nights when we used to take salsa dancing Lisa and I with Tony and Ines. And then dinner afterwards. Gosh, that seems like 100 years ago now. I know we were still doing movie nights when I started at QueensCare... which goes to show you how long ago that was. We fell out with them when Johnnie came into our lives. And that was ok. Anyway the TV series got me time travelling. So no Person of Interest tonight LOL. No late night either. Just the end of the quiet weekend.  With more of the same coming up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment