Monday, December 6, 2021

At Least There Is A Holiday Party

So I remember the dreariness of last year's holiday season when we were fighting an upsurge with Covid-19 infections a year ago. So much so we were locked down yet again. This year is so far not feeling nearly as bad even with the discovery of another new Covid variant called omicron. Proof of this is that we're actually having a holiday party tonight at the Magic Castle for Q/QC Leadership. And that is on the heels of Lisa's office Christmas party last night at Maggiano's. I was not invited to that one of course but I was happy simply for the semblance of normalcy that gesture provided. And I was glad Johnnie got to go too. Tonight he doesn't get to go with me to the Magic Castle, and in fact I'm going to have to pick him up after which means no earlier than 9:30 PM. I was wondering how I was going to do that since the magic shows don't start until 8 PM. And coming back to the Westside from Hollywood? Not a short trip. But I was really glad we got to celebrate together as an organization, and in person to boot. I mean it IS a good thing to start feeling the spirit of the holidays right? I mean even taking my morning walk to kick off another 15000+ step Monday I enjoyed the warmth of the sun on my face and the festive decor on the palm trees right next to my apartment building <see pic>. Happy Holidays and feeling happier than last year! I had it in my mind that I needed to get to 15,000 steps before taking off for the Magic Castle later on today. And I was well ahead of pace by lunchtime actually. As in I was already at 11,000+ steps by 1 PM. And that's when I chugged to a slow halt. I got caught up doing my HRSA report for covid vaccines, the same report I said I'd finish this past weekend but I never got to. Well I finished it today. And I still got going with my usual Monday activities. Lunch from Marie Callender's. Chicken pot pie today. About the only thing I hadn't done was the presentation for the HIT Summit on Friday. Funny I'm not even stressed by that at all. Maybe it was thinking about all the things I'm grateful for today and what the week would be like WHILE I was doing my morning walk. I'm grateful for the fact that we seem to be doing so much better with COVID-19 this season than last. I'm grateful that we get to have a holiday party tonight. And I'm grateful for what I'm sure will be a very good presentation on Friday at the HIT Summit. I left for the Magic Castle at 4:30 PM. A full hour-and-a-half before dinner time at 6 PM. And wouldn't you know I'd need every minute of it? I was fine getting to LaBrea Blvd and got to the exit by 5 PM. But from there it literally took an hour just to navigate to Franklin and Orange. Still, I was there before 6 PM and all was good.  I remember the couple of times we had dinner here, once for a USC Stevens Christmas party. That was such a hoot. And then a dinner at the invite of Julian, Lisa's friend. I remember we were newly married when we were here once and we got picked on as the newly married couple by the magician LOL. Saying that seems so long ago. And that's because it is. Tonight's dinner did NOT disappoint. Filet mignon was SOOO GOOD. And then we did the Secret Santa gift exchange and I got my laptop bag that I listed. Woo-hoo. Another thing to be grateful for. I got at least ONE present this year already! As far as the show, that was pretty good too, but the one I went to was very short. 40 minutes it lasted. And frankly I was a little irritated with all the young ones behind me all maskless as if there was no pandemic going on. But I also realize that's just me being a grumpy older man and I need to put a sock in that. I left after that first show to give me a fighting chance of getting to Lisa's house by 9:30. And sure enough I got there 10 minutes earlier than that! Johnnie was only half asleep. I picked him up already in his pajamas and bathed. And picked up the dog too. And settled into Monday as if it were routine. Johnnie was asleep in my bed. Yet another thing to be grateful for today. It was a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment