Sunday, December 19, 2021

Another Golf Sunday

Another Sunday, another morning spent at the golf course, this time at Roosevelt. I had been playing decent for a little while now which means for about 6 weeks now, and I can at least hang my hat on the fact that I've shot par on the first hole 4 of the last 5 weeks. One of those was here at Roosevelt. And so when I swatted my first shot 200 yards right down the middle and got on the green pin level near the fringe after 2 shots, I SHOULD get it for a par right? I actually DID! Which made it 5 out of the last 6 weeks that I've shot par on the first hole. I actually didn't do so bad on the 2nd hole and even on the 3rd. And on the 4th hole after a not-so good tee shot I hit my 5 wood straight and right on the fringe. But I missed my par putt that time and settled for a 5. And on the next hole, Although i was again at the fringe pin level after 2 shots, I just lost focus and settled for a 6. Funny that Scott had been tracking our head-to-head hole wins and seemed serious about it, which meant I paid attention to it too. But he started to play well after this hole and declared he actually won this hole. We actually tied but I gave it to him since I was supposedly leading at that time 3-1. I seemed to lose focus completely after this hole. Gone were the straight shots down the line, replaced by topping the ball or mishits completely like I USED to do a couple of months ago. I allowed my swing to get speeded up, lost my rhythm like I had, lost my confidence. And I never won a hole again. And with Scott finding HIS rhythm, he won the last holes. How disappointing is that... not losing to Scott, but losing my focus! And it happened because I let Scott mentally think he won Hole 5. I never cleared that off my mind which brought back old programs about not doing well I'm sure. The last 4 holes were not how I have played in the last month. It remains to be seen if I can wipe out THIS stretch of play and regain my play from the past month(s). I need to let go of frustration, get to balance and focus. That's all it is. And it is disappointing how I started really well but lost it just as easily. There's a huge lesson there to be sure. Can't let up. 
Oh well, at least it was a nice day out and it even got pretty warm by mid-morning. On the way home, I didn't want to eat Mediterranean food today for lunch... for some reason I had a hankering for iN-N-Out and I stopped at IN-N-Out drive through near my apartment. I noticed that my fitbit had died out which meant all that walking around the golf course was never recorded. Probably time to get a new one. Hey that's about 3 miles of steps and maybe an hour's worth of active minutes. I'll just have to add it manually. There was no RAMS game to watch this afternoon since the Covid protocols had moved it to Tuesday. UCLA basketball is postponed now too since lots of people are testing positive. And the Lakers? They're affected too. They had no centers today and they were already not watchable. As in they're not the Lakers I passionately follow. They're a middling .500 team these days and there's some hope they can still kick it into gear after Christmas. The unexpected blip of a surprise was a text from Johnnie (see attached). They were over at Lisa Pereira's house in Santa Clarita and I guess he must have been bored or something because he wanted to talk to me. Awww. My Kid Bug. I had seen him Friday and Saturday and I don't usually see him on Sundays. But today we FaceTimed for about 5 minutes just so he could see my face and I think he was ok after that. Tomorrow is early pick up as it is as Lisa already told me she was dropping him off at 11 aM. It is all good. Weekend is over. Christmas week coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment